[KH Explains] A look back on Lee Jae
简介Friday is the first anniversary of Samsung Electronics Executive Chairman Lee Jae-yong's official as ...
Friday is the first anniversary of Samsung Electronics Executive Chairman Lee Jae-yong's official ascension to the top post at Korea's largest conglomerate.
Over the past year, the Samsung chief conducted various management activities to explore new opportunities, laying the foundation for his own “New Samsung” vision, while succeeding the legacy of his father, the late Chairman Lee Kun-hee, who died three years ago.
Experts agree that his push for “supergap technology” is the right direction for Samsung to consolidate its leadership in its core businesses, but they also advise him to make bolder decisions such as large-scale mergers and acquisitions to secure an early edge in future growth drivers.
The investment push for supergap technology is widely touted as the key feature of Lee's first year as chairman. Despite growing fears of an economic slowdown, Samsung has continued spending on research and development.
He has presented a blueprint to make Samsung -- the world’s No. 1 memory chip maker -- the global leader in system semiconductors by 2030, outpacing its archrival Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. in terms of production capacity.
Samsung’s device solution division in charge of the tech giant’s sprawling chip business has suffered trillions of won in losses in recent quarters, hit hard by the slump in the memory chip market this year. But at the same time, the company has bolstered its readiness for the future by making massive investments.
In the second quarter this year, when Samsung’s operating profit plummeted 95 percent on-year, R&D spending soared 15.2 percent from a year prior to some 7.2 trillion won ($5.3 billion), while facility investment recorded 14.5 trillion won, up 18 percent in the same period.
The company is planning to spend 20 trillion won by 2030 to develop a new semiconductor R&D complex in Giheung, Gyeonggi Province, which is expected to work on advanced chips.
Hyundai Motor Co., South Korea's top carmaker, and its sister company, Kia Corp., are set to po ...
이종석(62·사법연수원 15기) 헌법재판소장 후보자 임명동의안이 30일 국회 본회의를 통과했다.국회는 이날 총 투표수 291표 중 찬성 204표와 반대 61표, 기권 26표로 이 ...
Korean American author Ilyon Woo’s nonfiction work has been recognized as one of the New York Times& ...
- Fragile yet strong, G Gallery's 'Thick Skin' showcases two emerging artists
- Ilyon Woo's nonfiction lands on NYT's 10 best books of 2023
- Photo of Fu Bao's baby twin sisters’ birth selected for Time's Top 100 Photos of 2023
- [Herald Interview] Samyang CEO envisions elevating K
- ART Fin runs holiday
- Industrial output, retail sales, investment all fall in Oct.: data
- BTS' Jungkook to drop new single '3D'
- Dodgers prospect trying to fit in with S. Korean nat'l baseball team
- [Book Review] 'Lee Kun
- Korea’s parental leave benefits lag behind OECD average
- KFCC promotes financial inclusion via branches in developing nations
- Mirae Asset continues to lead domestic equity ETF market
- [Weekender] Behind the scenes of Korean food crazes
- BTS' Suga begins military service
- [Test Drive] Toyota’s minivan Alphard boasts sedanlike drive
- Mirae Asset Securities to buy back shares worth W60b
- Coupang Play seeks turnaround with exclusive content
- Pentagon official touts robust extended deterrence to S. Korea
- Strengthening Vietnam
- Seoul shares close nearly flat on US rate
- Samsung Biologics expansion ahead of schedule
- 尹 대통령 "국립대병원 중추로 육성" 의료인력 확충 필요성 강조
- Star musicians add own touches to films as music directors
- S. Korea's Navy holds regular multinational mine warfare drills
- Cha Medical to hold global forum on next
- [Herald Interview] Park Youn
- Hyundai Motor, Kia ranked in mid range of global eco
- [view] 민심 더 싸늘해지는데…감동 없는 김기현 2기
- SK chairman says agile responses needed in times of geopolitical strife
- [Herald Interview] New Royal Salute makes grand debut to tap deeper into Korean whiskey market
- 북러 무기거래 현장 지목된 라진항…"컨테이너 더미 또 쌓였다"
- 김기현 “지역·계층·세대별 민심 여과없이 대통령에 직접 전달”
- Chuu makes tearful solo debut with 'Howl'
- Hyundai, Kia team up with Infineon on EV power chips
- 北 방문 러 외무장관, 김정은과 만났다…"1시간 이상 대화"