Hyundai Motor, Kia ranked in mid range of global eco
简介Hyundai Motor and its affiliate firm Kia were ranked in ninth place on a new Greenpeace study on 15 ...
Hyundai Motor and its affiliate firm Kia were ranked in ninth place on a new Greenpeace study on 15 automakers' decarbonization efforts, down four spots from the environmental organization's assessment a year ago.
According to Greenpeace East Asia’s analysis on Thursday, the South Korean carmakers received 5.58 points for the proportion of zero-emission vehicle sales and a mere 3 points for decarbonizing efforts in their supply chains.
Noting that the sales of sports utility vehicles by Hyundai Motor and Kia accounted for more than half of their total sales, Greenpeace pointed out that SUVs have more carbon emissions as they use more steel and offer less fuel efficiency. The group also underlined that the Korean carmakers’ slow sales of EVs in the past five years compared to other automakers do not seem to be in line with their goal to achieve carbon neutrality by 2045.
“Hyundai Motor and Kia, who say that they are leading the EV transformation, have been ranked in the middle based on the eco-friendliness assessment over the past three years,” said Hong Hye-ran, a climate and energy campaigner at Greenpeace East Asia.
“It is difficult to not only respond to the climate crisis, but also become the first leader of the future car industry with a management strategy that focuses on internal combustion engine vehicles and SUVs. Hyundai Motor and Kia need to stop selling internal combustion engine vehicles by 2030 and make efforts to decarbonize their supply chains.”
Mercedes-Benz ranked first on the eco-friendliness list of 15 carmakers across the world. Despite being in first place, the German automaker only received 41.1 points out of a perfect score of 100.
“Massive auto manufacturers such as Toyota, Volkswagen, Hyundai Motor and Kia are not rapidly cutting down their carbon emissions,” said Ada Kong, deputy program director at Greenpeace East Asia.
“Although the sales of electric vehicles are growing quickly, 94 percent of the sold cars by the world’s top 15 automakers were still powered by fossil fuel in 2022.”
Samsung Group Chairman Lee Jae-yong and SK Group Chairman Chey Tae-won are set to travel to the Neth ...
김재섭 국민의힘 도봉갑 당협위원장. 뉴스1김재섭 국민의힘 서울 도봉갑 당협위원장은 “이낙연 전 대표가 민주당의 면역체계가 무너졌다는 얘기했는데 바이러스는 누가 뭐래도 개딸”이라며 ...
A 50-something woman who threw objects out the window of her 18-floor apartment and shouted "I' ...
- 'The Glory' notches two accolades at AACA including best drama series award
- 이낙연, 1만3000명 출당 청원에 "당에서 몰아내면 받아야지"
- McKinsey names 2 new partners at Seoul office
- S. Korea's economy grows 0.6% in Q3, unchanged from earlier estimate
- Culture minister to discuss exchanges with Vatican this week
- Korea Herald, Indonesia's Kompas vow to deepen media ties
Creta partners with LoL producer Thomas Vu
KFCC hosts workshop for sustainable growth in Africa
Korean defense firms head to Egypt defense expo to expand market presence
[Contribution] Future of agriculture
Creta partners with LoL producer Thomas Vu
N. Korea doles out gifts to participants in mothers' conference
- Over 90% of fines for illegal short selling imposed on foreign firms
- Korea extends fuel tax cut scheme until year's end
- Wage talks between Kia, labor union fail again
- S. Korea entering 'recovery phase' amid geopolitical uncertainties: Choo
- BTS' V joined by Jimin in solo fan meeting 'Vicnic'
- Japan thanks S. Korea for Israel rescue effort
- S. Korea to review additional measures against N. Korea's arms transfer to Russia
- SK chief discusses ICT partnerships with Estonia, Carribean Community
- [New in Korean] Witches, ecofeminism, climate crisis: Tale of resilience and nature’s power
- Seoul defense exhibition aims to boost arms exports
- Maestro Semyon Bychkov breaks silence on Israel–Hamas war
- [Today’s K
- 이준석, 유승민과 창당설에 “배제 안 한다…한다면 비례 신당은 아냐”
- Italian, Egyptian, Taiwanese, Japanese webtoonists to attend Busan Webtoon Festival
- Hyundai Motor partners with IUCN for forest project in Vietnam
- 500 bird strikes reported in past 5 years: data
- [사진] 빈 살만 운전 자청, 윤 대통령 동행
- [Herald Review] Based on true story, 3 boys find justice 16 years delayed in 'The Boys'
- [From the Scene] Don't remember Itaewon alley as place of death, victims' families say
- Book records testimonies of bereaved families, survivors of Itaewon tragedy
- Enhypen's 'Fate' tour draws 85,000 fans in the US
- Seoul shares snap 3
- N. Korea to close its embassy in Uganda: report
- Eximbank holds workshop on development financing
- Seoul shares open flat despite US gains
- 美연구소 "北, 러에 보낸 포탄은 50만 발…한 달 사용 분량"
- 4 North Koreans cross East Sea maritime border in first since 2019
- Braving wind and high water to celebrate Dokdo Day
- 한·사우디 43년 만의 공동성명 “방산·네옴시티 협력 강화”
- AI Auction debuts tax consultant chatbot